We operate a system of underground natural gas pipelines to provide safe and economical natural gas service to the residents and businesses of Racine, Grand Meadow, Sargeant and the surrounding area.
We comply with all applicable state and federal safety regulations in our operations.
Pipelines are one of the safest transportation methods available, but in the unlikely event a natural gas leak does occur it can cause a fire or explosion. We want to help you stay safe around gas facilities.
This notice is designed to assist in that effort, providing information on reacting to and reporting suspected gas leaks and on excavation safety.
INDICATIONS OF A POSSIBLE GAS LEAK INCLUDE:
- Unusual odor (similar to a rotten egg).
- Hissing noise, bubbles in puddles, dirt being blown into the air, dead or discolored vegetation near an underground pipeline.
- Fire or explosion involving pipeline facilities.
- Please keep you gas meters free of any ice or snow build ups, when thawing takes place and melts onto the regulators it may cause a gas explosion. Keep any foliage free from accumulation around meters as well.
- Don't forget to replace batteries in CO2 detectors and smoke alarms.
NATURAL GAS PIPELINE SAFETY IMPORTANT CONTACT INFORMATION
COMMUNITY UTILITY COMPANY
24-HOUR EMERGENCY PHONE LINE
GOPHER STATE ONE CALL
Call Before You Dig!
800-252-1166 or 811
Our office hours are:Mon-Fri 8am-12pm 1pm-5pm